Wednesday 30 January 2008

Sit Under a Tree


I watched a BBC 2 Natural World programme called Earth Pilgrim on the internet. It featured Satish Kumar, an inspirational world figure, talking about his regular walks on Dartmoor. He quoted the Buddha as saying that if you want enlightenment you must sit under a tree - or that the reason we aren't enlightened is that we don't sit under enough trees.
I really wanted to do that today but it was cold! No, it wasn't cold - I was insufficiently warmly dressed! On Sunday when I took this photo, it was warm. The view is up along the River Helford in Cornwall and the tree looks very sittable-under.
What will the tree teach me?
Stillness, faith that spring will come
Hospitality in all my branches, twigs, leaves
and fruit offered to insects and birds
That the world offers itself, here and now
no need to go anywhere
That the earth provides sustanance
water, that I give the world wood and fire
That my roots go deep and my arms reach for the sky

No comments: